Thursday, September 30, 2010

iPod Touch vs. iPad: Screen Size, Price, and Nose Hair

One of my oldest friends on Earth asked me to write a post about the differences between iPod Touch and iPad. I like responding to your requests because this blog is for you. I'm a gadget geek so you don't have to be. I read the articles and follow the trends so you know what to buy for yourself and what to put into Christmas stockings. At first glance, the iPad and iPod Touch seem like similar devices, with the only difference being screen size. They even run many of the same apps. Like I mentioned in a previous post about choosing the right PDA phone, there are several things I think you should ponder before investing in one of these iDevices.

First, think about what you want to do with the device. Are you going to do heavy web surfing or just look up information quickly? Will you download music, movies, podcasts? If so, when will you listen or watch your media? While you run? While you lift weights? While you fold laundry? Will you use your device for personal e-mail? What about work data? Do you need that data on the go or just while sitting on the couch? Do you read a lot of books? Whew! There are a lot of questions! Let's slow down so I can explain why I shot all these questions like a Gatling gun.

The best description your WinnyTechBender has overheard about the iPad is that it is a "satellite computer". The iPad is an efficient companion to your main computer. Simply push a button and swipe to unlock, you're ready to use the device. The iPad is a device whose strength is accessing content for you to readily consume. From books to music and movies, the iPad is great when sitting on a couch, lying in bed and while sitting on a plane, train, or automobile. I've read many articles that slam the iPads weight at 1.5 lbs. Most eReaders come in well under a pound; however, the eReaders can't do all the things the iPad can do.

The iPad, with its a full Internet browser for your touchscreen pleasure, is great to use watching web video and accessing most sites without issue. Like all iDevices, the iPad (and iPod Touch) cannot access Flash based websites. For the majority of users, the lack of Flash is not a problem, as more websites are migrating to a video standard with which iDevices are compatible.

So, you might be wondering - what are some specific things you can do with an iPad, other than books, movies, and music? The answer is a big fat PLENTY! The iPad has some great applications available for download through the iTunes App store, either using your main computer or directly from your device. For example, there's the ABC Player, which is a video app that allows you to watch first run ABC shows. It's a free app, and as long as you don't mind commercials, you can catch shows the day after they air live. The commercial breaks are actually shorter than when watching regular TV. This has become my preferred method of watching Gray's Anatomy, The Practice, No Ordinary Family, and Modern Family. There are a plethora of news apps available for iPad, as well as productivity apps that you can access faster than booting up your main computer. Also, through apps like Dropbox (free), Box.net (free) and MobileMe ($99/yr), you can share the data on your computer with the iPad and any device or computer that has an internet connection. If you have a file in Dropbox on the iPad, that same file is on the web and on your computer.

If you need to be connected all the time, the iPad comes in 3G models that can connect to AT&T's network without a contract. When you sign up for 3G service, right from the iPad, you are buying one month worth of internet access. This is a great option if you need access while on vacation with limited access to wi-fi, but don't want to be stuck in a long term contract.

"But, WinnyTechBender, the iPad doesn't have a camera!! What ever will I do without a camera on a device that has a 9.7" screen?" When the next generation iPad comes out with a camera, your buddy, the TechBender, still hasn't quite figured out how people are going to enjoy video chatting when the user on the other end is looking up WinnyTechBender's nose. Also, the chances of using the iPad to take pictures is remote, in my opinion. I mean, who's going to whip out a big screen satellite computer when just about every phone out there has a camera attached? Umm, no one I know. So I think the inclusion of a camera in a tablet is not a deal breaker. But that's me. You have to decide if it's important to you.

Now, I've been touting the attributes of the iPad. I haven't forgetten the iPod Touch. If the iPad is a satellite computer, the iPod Touch is the satellite computer with a small screen that fits in your pocket. The newest generation iPod Touch comes with a similar display as the iPhone 4 Retina Display. The iPod Touch can do almost everything the iPad can do, just in a much smaller format. Why is this important? If you're playing a game on the iPad, you have a huge screen. If you play the same game on the iPod Touch, you have a small screen. If I'm going for a run, I haven't come up with the solution to lug the iPad with me; however, the iPod Touch is a great walking/running device, especially with the inclusion of the Nike+ app which can track your runs and even post your run distance to Facebook and Twitter.

The iPod Touch has a mobile version of Apple's Safari web browser. Just like the iPad, you can sync the bookmarks/favorites from your main computer to your iPod Touch for access to your most frequently used websites. For instance, in my house, I have the same Fantasy Football link on my computer, my iPhone, my iPad, and my iPod Touch.

The newest feature included with iPod Touch is Apple's two-way video call technology, FaceTime. With FaceTime, an iPod Touch user can conduct video calls with other iPod Touch and iPhone 4 users. According to Apple, FaceTime technology will be released to 3rd parties later this year, so you may see this technology show up on computers and other devices very soon. The first generation iPad will most likely not get this feature, since it doesn't have a camera, which is why I predict that next year the 2nd generation iPad will include a camera. (I guess I'm going to have to trim those nose hairs after all.)

So which device is right for you? Remember my litany of questions above? When I think iPad, I think - sitting on the couch, at a desk, with plenty of screen real estate to easily consume content and also create content in a pinch. (When you think content creation, think 'editing', unless you pair a bluetooth keyboard or shell out cash for the keyboard dock from Apple.) I also think - relaxing, reading the news or reviewing a PowerPoint presentation. When I think iPod Touch, I think 'in my pocket, on the go'. I think gaming or listening to music while folding laundry. I think - I don't have a PDA phone, so this is my mini computer while I'm out and about, with access to Wi-Fi. When I think about e-mail, I think the devices are similar except for screen size. When I think movies, I think iPad. When I think Skype, I think iPod Touch. I sure am doing a lot of thinking. It's about time you take over, so let's talk price.

The base model iPod Touch with 8GB of storage is $229. The base model iPad with 16GB of storage is $499. 16GB of storage gives you about 4 movies, 20 music videos and about 1000 songs at any given time.

As with any device, the iPad vs. iPod debate is a personal choice. Which one should you buy Well, first answer, 'how will I use it?' and you'll be on your way to buying the device that will fit your circle. Now, your TechBender has some grooming to do...

1 comment: